Sunday, November 13, 2005

A Long Walk...

Last Thursday I had a tutorial with Roger Seijo for my dissertation. He help me a lot. Gives me a lot of new ideas, which means I have to do lots of research. Now I have to make a comparison of how the sustainability works in London waterfront area with sustainable mixed use waterfronts in other part of the world. The most obvious result of mixed use waterfronts are normally located in Netherlands. So now I have to research the Borneo Village, Amsterdam canal, Arnherm and so on. So anyone.. please... if you have some informations about these places.. do let me know.

In the evening, I attended the open lecture in Norbert Singer Hall. The title is 'Myth of the Street'. The speaker comes from University of Ghent. The lecture was mostly talking about public and private space. And the street as a meeting point, but the character of the street is consumption. And in the consumption space, you can't do an argument. Then he suggesting to merge the street with the private building (library, institution, museum, etc...), so that people can walk through all those private building and gain knowledge. And later on, the building will become a semi public space. Aaaaa.. more or less he was talking about something like that.

Today I visited the Millennium Village up to the Thames Barrier then to North Greenwich station in the name of research for the dissertation. It was a pretty long walk. The Millennium Village, which developed by the English Partnership, has claimed itself as the sustainable and ecological area. And my argument is.. how sustainable it is in a long run. In terms of appearance, it looks pretty sustainable with the man made wetland and the smart houses. But yeah.. I have to do more research to make judgement on this project. The Thames Barrier is quite cool though. It looks so Hi-Tech to me. Even though the walk from Millennium Village to Thames Barrier was a bit scary. It's bacause you have to walk pass the industrial area. And there was nobody there. Took some pictures of them.

Balcony in Millenium Village


Colour Pattern


Thames Barrier

Thames Barrier view from the green chain
At night, I had a friend's birthday. We went to this Indian restaurant called 'Kahn' in Bayswater. And yep, this is my first time eat in Indian restaurant in London. Normally I don't really like Indian food. But, in Kahn is different. It was soooo good. 'Should go there if you're in the neighbourhood.
Ou.. almost forgot, I visited RIBA office in Portland Place to search for books which i can't find in Amazon. But, too bad, RIBA run out of that book as well. The RIBA visit reminds me of my visit here few weeks ago. They had the exhibition for Sterling Prize and 'Subconscious of a Monument' by Cornelia Parker. Basically she attach dried cement on a string and hang it.

No comments: