Tuesday, November 08, 2005

'Duality' Model Photograph

I have design crit with Jamie and Andrew today. It was a very long day. There are more than 30 works pinned on the wall. They were all very beautiful, stunning, and my confidence drown. It's the crit for sketch design 3. And as I have mention before, it is a conceptual development from the first model we made last week. And we have to choose our site, which in my case I have to choose the site from Royal Tunbridge Wells. From all the interesting site in T.Wells, I have to choose 'the Grove', because it has the closest character that I want to achieve with my design.

'The Grove' is located in the centre of the private housing area. It has the quality of an enclosed space. The trees in 'the Grove' are mostly matured, with the shrubs bedding all surronds the park. In the middle of the park, it has a playground space for kids. These will be suitable with my theme which is playful space.... Remember, one of the key qualities in my concept is 'menacing'. So.. yeah.. I want to create a playground, to play hide and seek. And yeah.. I have to go back to the 'duality' theme, so I was thinking to create an active (playground area) and passive (thinking, wondering, contemplation space) activity to 'the Grove'.

Finally I decided to create a spongy space (made by orange rubber... yeahh I love orange) as a playground space. You can seat on it, you can touch it, hug it, play with it, anything... The repetition of the spongy space will indicate the word 'indecisive', because you can go anywhere, there are no direction to enter the space. 'Intriguing'... the orange colour!!!! It gives the seduction for people to go near by and get in touch with it. Well, I read from somewhere that orange gives the longest wave the eye can catch. In the centre of 'the Grove' I left it empty with hilly pebbles base. So that people can stand (sit, lay, sleep, whatever..) there to think and wondering (contemplation purpose, right!?). Ouya.. this concept is also about enclosed space, intriguing moment, and boundaries. The private housing will be the first boundary, Existing trees come second, and the spongy space come last. Layers of boundary create curiousity... curiousity can be indicate as intriguing.

Okay, about the crit. I was really nervous as always (I'm not good with words and public speaking). Even though I always keep telling myself to be brave... never works. As I said earlier, there are so many good works. Very good improvement from everybody. And about my work, as usual, it is too much of everything. I just don't know how to limit myself. I guess I keep falling to the 'seduction' method unconsciously. Not that I have try... this time I tried to use just one colour, which is orange. But it still turns up too much (I really have to work harder on this). The crit turns up to be okay. Get few suggestions and comments, which are true.


No comments: