Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Introducing Indonesia

Finally I'm able to blogging again. Been very busy for the past few days. With masterplan class... to design the courtyard 14 in Hadlow. Struggling during the thinking period. Seems that I'm not able to get the idea.. It's over for now. And another thing is about doing my dissertation. Yeah.. I feel like dying.

Ouya.. I haven't introduce my country to you. I'm from Indonesia, tropical country in South East Asia. A nice country with amazing view. Well, off course not my hometown. My hometown is Jakarta, it looks just like any other capital in the world. So, this time around I'm going to introduce the interesting part of Indonesia.

The famous interesting place in Indonesia is Bali.. But I guess you all heard about it already. So, I won't show it here. Have you ever heard about Borobudur? It was one of the seven wonders in the world. But, after the restoration (because of the limited knowledge for restore it), its not one of the seven wonders anymore. It still looks good and stunning though. Definately it's one of the place you should experience it before you die.. hehehhe

The Borobudur Temple complex is one of the greatest Buddhist monuments in the world. It is for uncertain age, but thought to have been built between the end of the seventh and the beginning of the eighth century AD. For about a century and a half it was the spiritual centre for Buddhism in Java, then it was lost until its rediscovery in the eighteenth century

The structure, composed of 55,000 square metres of lava- rock is erected on a hill in form of a stepped- pyramid of six rectangular storeys, three circular terraces and a central stupa forming the summit. The whole structure is in the form of a lotus, the sacred flower of Buddha.

Besides being the highes symbol of Buddhism, the Bororbudur stupa is also a replica of the universe. It symbolises the micro- cosmos, which is divided into three levels, in which man's world of desire is influenced by negative impulses; the middle level, the world in which man has control of his negative impulses and use his positive impulses; the highest level, in which the world of man is no longer bounded by physical and worldly ancient desire.

In total, Borobudur represents the ten levels of Boddhisattva's life in which he or she must develop to become a Buddha or an awakened one.

2 comments:

dickie said...

Wow, fantastic images and great to get an insight into Borobudur (which to my shame I'd never heard of). I regret that my experience of Indonesia is limited to seven hours at Jakarta Airport whilst flying Garuda to Sydney!

Must add to list of things to do.

p.s. I think we are all feeling the pressure!

Christine Darmono said...

Definately should go once in a while. And once you were there, you might as well have a look at other temple (we call it 'candi'); i.e. candi prambanan. It's worth to look at. And on the hill oposite of Borobudur, there's a wonderful resort with stunning landscape, called Amanjiwo. You don't have to stay there to take a look around. The rate of the resort is pretty expensive (start from 650 USD per night)