Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Sacred Mount Merapi

The journey in Yogyakarta doesn't stop at Borobudur. On Sunday, I've got the chance to see the sacred mountain 'Merapi'. It is the most active volcano in Indonesia, or maybe in the world too. Recently in 2010, Mount Merapi erupted and cause lots of casualty. My mom told me, the town and village nearby used to be covered with white ashes and dusts. Not anymore though.

I was lucky that by the time I reached Merapi, the thunderstorm stopped. It only left cool weather, which is perfect. The scenery of Mount Merapi was extra ordinary. I still can see the lava route by the volcanoes. Apart from the bad casualties, there is also a story about the 'brave key keeper' of Merapi, called Mbah Maridjan. He's an old man who was trusted to guard the spirit of Merapi. When the Merapi erupted, he decided to stay behind, together with some of his followers. 

His life was taken away by the Merapi at the end. And this Merapi trip is also include to see key keeper's house' ruin. It was quite sad to see result of Merapi eruption. ooo I forget to tell you the meaning of 'Merapi'. It means 'fire'. I guess you know why.

No comments: