Friday, January 20, 2012

The Egg Form Opera

Form follows function or function follows form? Norman Foster and his Beijing Opera Hall is definitely follows the latter. The half egg shape building sits beautifully on the water, which reflects the building into a full egg form. I really like the neat shape of the building and its circulation strategy. Towards the busy street, it reveals its beautiful form, but the entrance to the theater is hidden in a amphitheater space. I tried to go in and experience the performance inside. But sadly, It's not allowed to take any pictures. I did however take some with my mobile phone....., but I lost my mobile phone before I got the chance to transfer it to the computer. Maybe its not meant to be. hahaha. 

The performance was really nice, although it wasn't as nice as European opera performance. I guess in China, looks and appearance is still more important than the voice. All the main singers are very good looking and skinny. And how could you push out a powerful voice out of a skinny body.. Pardon my judgment :)

No comments: